Thursday, September 10, 2009

HANGING IN HTML

I thought my blog was done.

But it needs more elements, or gadgets and widgets. Or something!

OK, I know that people my age (middle) in order to keep their brains active and young, need to do things like learn to play a musical instrument, take a foreign language, play soduko. Or something!

And maybe I’ll do one of those.

But probably not.

Writing tweaks my brain.

And that I do everyday. Even on holidays. Even when I feel sick.

Well, not puking sick.

And figuring out which agents to send my query to not only tweaks my brain, it puts my cells in overdrive.

But this blog thing! In order to set up my blog do I really have to learn html? Why are the “labels” I’m entering in Hindi?

Why can’t setting up a blog be easier? And yes, I’ve used one of Blogger.com’s templates, but I want to tweak it some more.

And oh, the pressure!

Everyone in the Internet universe who has a blog has had to do this and obviously is/has/and are doing it.

So why is it so strange to me?

I remember when I had to know DOS in order to work on a computer. Yes, I’m that old!

Well, not that old.

And for those of you who do not know what DOS is, here’s the definition from Wikepedia:

MS-DOS (pronounced em-es-dos; short for Microsoft Disk Operating System) is an operating system commercialized by Microsoft. It was the most commonly used member of the DOS family of operating systems and was the main operating system for personal computers during the 1980s.

I actually got my first PC in the early 90’s.

And trust me, DOS was enough of a challenge. I learned it well enough, but I kept thinking, Why can’t they make PC’s like TV’s that you just turn on?


Well, thankfully Microsoft did finally come out with PC’s that you just turn on.

Now when I tell people that I know DOS, it sounds like one of those stories like, “You kids have it so easy nowadays. I use to have to walk ten miles in the snow to get to school.”

Anyway, I’m going to approach this blog like I do my writing. I’m just going to sit down in front of my laptop. My brain will function. My blog will evolve.

Always, Em

P.S. I called a writer friend of mine who blogs and she guided me to go into the Enable Transliteration” box thingy and I disabled Hindi and enabled English.

Wish I could “enable" my brain that easy.

No comments: