Monday, April 5, 2010

HUG-EEEE!

I don’t know if there is one…
But if there is one…
I need to find out what it is…
And if there isn’t one, there should be.
I’m talking about a protocol for hugging.
Not for romantic hugs…
Don’t need a cue for that.
I’m talking about when you visit people who you know…
But don't see on a regular basis.
I went with my daughter to visit her in-laws in Cleveland yesterday.
I see them about once, maybe twice a year.
There were about nine of them yesterday.
Wonderful people, had a great time.
But when it was time to leave…
I didn’t know who to hug—again.
I had already hugged everyone who had clustered around me and my daughter when we first arrived.
Though, there were a few stragglers I hadn't hugged.
So I wonder…
How ardent should one be pursuing whom to hug when leaving if you missed them the first time around?
I hugged the host and hostess…
Then my daughter’s sisters-in-law…
One of her brothers-in-law…
Some of their children who were close by…
But now…
The afore mentioned stragglers…
Were close…
But not that close.
So?
Should I have run over to them and forced my hug?
Chased another one across the lawn?
Should I have ignored them altogether?
Should I have made eye contact and just waived?
I don’t know, but I think I committed a breach of hug etiquette.
One of my daughter's brothers-in-law…
When I approached him…
He extended his hand…
And I was caught off guard…
And my mind went blank…
And instead of shaking his hand…
I went in for the hug.
Immediately, I felt like I had breached his personal zone.
And I felt awkward.
Then there’s the time when you see a female acquaintance and give her a hug.
But now she's got her husband with her and you’re meeting him for the first time.
So, do you…
Hug him too?
Nod and smile?
Shake his hand?
See what I mean?
It’s all so confusing.
At least to me.
That's why I wish there were rules so I’d know what to do…
And not have to feel awkward.
Because heaven knows…
I feel like that most of the time anyway.

Always, Em-Musing

No comments: