Friday, May 14, 2010

THE LIT TEASE


Lately…
I’ve been reading on agent’s & writer’s blogs…
About the pitch and the hook.
So, I’m guessing that if you’re a writer reading this…
You probably don’t need any visuals to understand them.
But I can’t help myself…
Visually is how I think sometimes.
And that’s when it struck me…
What the pitch and hook would look like.
OK—THE PITCH
That one or two sentence elevator spiel.
Picture yourself holding a time bomb…
You have 30 seconds…
Before it goes off.
But you can’t get rid of it…
Until you say your 30 second pitch of absolute literary wonder.
TICK TOCK
And it better be good!
Otherwise
BOOM!
Yup! You bombed!
And now —THE HOOK
You’re on stage
You have one chance…
To give a one-sentence enticing hook of your book.
If it’s good…
You get to continue.
But if it stinks?
A big giant  

HOOK 
(sorry, couldn't get the clip art to paste here)

Will literally (or literarily)…
Yank you off stage.
So?
Has thinking visually helped me come up with my own pitch and hook?
Nope!
Because the only visual pasted across my brain lately…
Is me trembling…
With copious sweat dripping off of me…
Cowering in a corner…
At RWA Nationals in Orlando
Waiting for my pitch session…
With an agent or editor.
I’M SUCH A WUSS!
Time for me to muster up some self esteem…
Or courage…
Or meditative techniques to calm down…
Or…
A better deodorant.

Always, Em-Musing

Question:  What do you think this quote is talking about?  
                 “It’s become a bit of a pitch word to hook 
                  people’s interest.”

Answer:    BURLESQUE  -  So said Chicago burlesque dancer 
                                           Michelle L’Amou in an interview.         
                                           And if anyone knows the art of 
                                           “show” don’t “tell” and teasing 
                                           the audience and having them 
                                           craving for more, it’s a 
                                           burlesque dancer.






No comments: