Wednesday, May 26, 2010

UC&P

OK, I admit it…
I’d heard about BEA…
And read some agent’s blogs about BEA…
But I’ve never actually researched all the ins and out of:
BookExpo America
So I Googled it.
OMG!
My knowledge of the publishing world just EX’d…    
Ex-ploded…
Ex-panded…
Ex-pounded…
And then I explored the exhibitor list of BEA…
Dude!
Huge!
Over 1,500!
And over 500 authors attending!
Even Barbra Streisand was there.
It used to be…
Whenever I’d read or heard an agent’s comment…
 “This is a business, it's not personal”…
(especially when explaining the rejection process)
I always thought of Michael Corleone’s line from The Godfather
“It’s not personal, Sonny. It’s strictly business.”
I then smiled because I got it!
But now…
After checking out BEA…
My perspective on publishing is that it’s not strictly business…
It’s a BIG business!
And from now on…
Not only am I going to look at it as a BIG business.
But up close and personally too.

Always, Em-Musing
P.S. This is the first time I've ever used/written "dude"

No comments: