Friday, July 23, 2010

CLOSE COUNTERS OF THE QUERY KIND

All day yesterday…
I rewrote…
Rehearsed…
And rehashed…
All things query and pitch…
Till my mind felt like a saturated dishrag…
And my nerves wiry like a Brillo pad.
All of the pitches I had practiced…
And all the new queries I had written…
Felt contrived…
Forced…
And phony.
Early evening…
I stood in the kitchen…
With a sink-full of dishes…
And heard a voice in my head.
OK
Just so that you don’t think I’ve gone off the deep end…
It wasn’t a weird voice…
Or a voice of a celebrity or God…
That I heard.
It was me—my own inner voice…
Anyway…
My inner me said, “Just tell the story…
Don’t try to be cute or clever…
Just tell your protagonist’s story…
With the conflict she faces.”
And then…
With my hands submerged in suds…
Washing the grease from the frying pan…
A query/pitch flowed out of me.
Clean and simple.
I went to bed with this query/pitch still in my mind.
And when I woke up…
It was still there.
So for now…
This is my story…
And I’m sticking to it.
And I pray…
With the RWA National conference in Orlando less than a week away
This one has staying power.

Always, Em-Musing

5 comments:

Jennifer Shirk said...

Best of luck with your pitch!!

Unknown said...

Good luck with your pitch and have fun at the conference!!

Joanne said...

I like the idea that the pitch came to you while you were busy with other things, almost naturally. After all your efforts, it was there all along :) Good luck with it!

Devon Ellington said...

Terrific! Keeping it simple, staying true to your story and yourself gets the point across and lets the best ones for your tale respond.

Enjoy the conference.

Tana said...

Cute! Good luck at the conference! Can't wait to hear all about it!