Friday, July 16, 2010

THE ITCHING HOUR

Superstition says…
That if your right palm itches, money is coming your way
Well last night…
I woke up out of a sound sleep…
With the heel of my right foot itching incessantly.
So?
Being it was my right foot
Does it mean I’m going to lose money?
As I scratched, I asked myself, why would I lose money?
Then I realized that I shelled out some bucks for RWA Nationals.
What if I’m going to be a big loser there?
I quickly chided myself for thinking negatively.
It’s probably only a mosquito bite, I thought.
But there’s no blood source on a callus.
Yikes! Spider bite?
After all, the spider I almost killed got away.
Revenge?
Naw.
My cat was sleeping by my feet.
If there was a spider there, surely she would have pounced.
Then all of a sudden…
Different parts of my body started itching.
Do you know how hard it is to scratch a back while lying on it?
Hives?
Naw.
I hadn’t eaten anything new or suspicious.
I glanced at the clock—2 A.M.
It was too early to get up and start writing.
I was actually expecting it to be 3 A.M
Because isn’t that the witching hour?
And this incessant itching sure felt like…
Some evil imp was attacking me.
Hmm?
I had to find a way to get my mind off of the itching…
And the spider…
So I started reciting my pitch…
That is actually part of my latest version of my query letter.
(yes, I know, yet another version)
Over and over I recited the pitch until…
Sweet sleep came upon me…
And I woke up at my usual time of 4:30
Feeling very positive…
About my pitch and…
NO ITCH!

Always, Em-Musing

3 comments:

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

LOL! I think it's called, "dry skin." You were smart to distract your mind from the itching. Scratching may seem like a good idea, but usually makes the problem worse. :)

Blessings,
Susan

Unknown said...

Your name is adorable Em-Musing is fantastic!!!!

This was awesome, the itching hour is a very powerful title and trust me, I was certainly itching at the beginning but felt relief by the end, that was a lot of fun!

Tana said...

LOL! My mother used to say the exact same thing! And I'm impressed you were able to recite your pitch! I'm lousy at memorization.