Friday, August 20, 2010

RECYCLED

After writing about Harriet, my neighbor…
In my blog yesterday…
I couldn’t get her off of my mind…
She reminded me of someone…
Sort of.
Who did this feisty 82-year-old remind–
Wait!
I know!
She didn’t remind me of anyone living…
(Not that she reminded me of anyone dead, thank God)
But she reminded me of my protagonist…
In the very first novel I ever wrote.
Granny Mar.
Granny Mar is an 82-year-old woman…
Who fought demons all of her life and…
Moved to the Midwest to help her granddaughter…
Run the campus coffeehouse where demons…
Were running amok in the small college town.
I remember being asked by a New York “book doctor”…
Who read a partial of my manuscript several years ago…
If I thought an 82-year-old woman could actually fight demons.
Well, she didn’t have to mud wrestle them…
Or pick up a sword and duel.
Nor did she have to stalk and pounce on a demon…
Or even set traps to capture them.
All she had to do was to have enough spiritual strength…
To invoke the Holy Spirit…
To send them back to wherever the heck they came from.
“I used to be an activist when I was younger,” Harriet told me the other day.
And by all the political and environmental stickers on her car…
I believed her.
And based on how she invoked my conscience…
To take my plastic water jugs to the recycle bins…
Several miles away…
I think Harriet could fight a demon.
She could be my Granny Mar.
So, with Harriet in mind…
I think I’ll resurrect that manuscript…
And see if I can invoke some edits…
And give it life again.

Always, Em-Musing

2 comments:

Sarah N Fisk said...

Granny Mar sounds like an AWESOME character. I'd read it :-)

Matthew MacNish said...

Wow. That's pretty freaking cool.