Monday, August 22, 2011

DOUBLE EDGED WORDS

Printed books…
The final frontier…
Of No Stealth Advertising!
Yes, stealth advertising...it’s everywhere!
Like on my blog that I didn't allow!
And it’s not that I’m opposed to advertising…
I worked in advertising & marketing for many years.
So I understand the need for ads in the electronic media…
Like radio and TV…
(it’s how they stay in business)
Then came commercials at the movies…
(trust me, complaining doesn’t help)
And then on every Internet website…
(can’t fault someone for making extra bucks)
And even “free” Internet radio isn’t free anymore…
(If I hear Flo on one more Progressive spot I’m gonna scream)
But infiltrating my own personal blog?
When did advertisers think they could do this?
That’s downright devious if you ask me.
And they’re sneaky about it too…
They just double underlined words in my copy…
And then it looks like I did it.
Did they think I wouldn’t notice?
I see these double underlined words everywhere too.
Am I the only one seeing them?
(maybe I need an eye exam?)
Did I inadvertently “agree” to something?
So I checked Blogger...
And there is something called AdSense...
That uses double underlined words...
But I didn't sign up for that!
And now I have to take time to contact them...
And get them to stop.
But then, is it just me seeing double underlined words everywhere?
I don’t have an e-reader yet…
But please tell me there’s no advertising on them.
Is there?

Always, Em-Musing
P.S. If you know how to stop these double underlined words..
        popping up, please let me know.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Huh. I get so annoyed by those double-underlined ads when I see them, but I haven't seen any on your blog! I agree that it's so frustrating when someone co-opts your space to make money. I saw someone concerned about it on FB as well, because the ad at the top of her page was for something she was philosophically opposed to! She got it taken down, though, and I hope you're able to resolve your issue as quickly!

Eileen Astels Watson said...

I've not noticed them, but now that I've read this I bet I'll see them all over the place. :(

Talli Roland said...

I haven't noticed them either. How annoying! And no, no advertising on e-readers!

Elizabeth Mueller said...

I just read Talli's comment. Advertising on e-readers? Ugh... I'm so dog tired of commercials. I can't stand seeing them over satellite. Excuse me? But I'm paying for the programs here! I wonder how they're going to infiltrate Netflix next, oy!

♥.•*¨Elizabeth¨*•.♥
Can Alex save Winter from the darkness that hunts her?
YA Paranormal Romance, Darkspell coming fall of 2011!

PM Kavanaugh said...

I haven't seen any underlined words in your blog posts. Strange. As a marketing/branding professional myself, I, too, understand the need and value of advertising. But there should be limits, esp. if you're not getting a "cut" of the ad revenue that your blog posts are helping to generate!