Wednesday, February 1, 2012

I felt like a pioneer….
Moving to Mexico and making a new life.
That is...
Until I came across this postcard…














That I bought years ago in Virginia City, NV.
Obviously…
NOTHING about my move…
Compares to what these people endured.
I’m in awe!
I couldn’t have done it.
First...the shoes…
That poor woman trekked across the country with one pair.
My feet hurt strolling in the mall for a few hours.
Then there’s the privacy issue...
And intimacy...
And odors...
And let’s not forget weather, wild animals…
And Indians!
While some were helpful. Others murderous!
And really? How much jerky and beans can one eat?
My food dilemma when traveling?
Spilling my Starbucks latte while boarding the plane.
And I wonder how many precious possessions...
She had to leave behind...
Because they wouldn't all fit in the wagon?
No, I couldn’t have done it…
Though the pioneering spirit is in my genes…
My grandmother came over from Sweden to NY…
All by herself…
Not speaking English…
At eighteen!
OK, she was a governess to a Swedish family in Brooklyn…
So it wasn't like she was living on the streets...
But still.
So?
Do you have the pioneering spirit?
Would you have trekked from coast to coast?
What about your ancestors?
And just I'd let you know...
That I've been extremely busy packing and storing...
To make my final move to Mexico...
So I've been absent from commenting...
On everyone's blog. 
But I'll be back in business next week.
Promise.

Always, Em-Musing

7 comments:

JB LYNN said...

LOL

I hate moving, so I'd never have cut it as a pioneer.

Safe travels!

Kristina Knight said...

I hate the *act* of moving...but the excitement of a new house, new city, new place, new country? That really makes me excited. I'd like to think I'd've been a pioneer woman...but you make a good point about the shoes. Not sure I could leave all my shoes behind....

Anonymous said...

I'm working on 'pioneering' from Ohio to California in a few years. And after this post, I'm grateful that in this modern day and age, the worst discomfort I'll have to endure is driving cross country in a moving truck and sleeping in motels. Wearing my most comfy shoes, no less.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Puts it all into perspective, doesn't it?

Jennifer Shirk said...

That's good.
Unfortunately, my husband calls me "the clam". I burrow into a town and you really have to dig deep to get me out. LOL

Samantha Vérant said...

I'd be the worst pioneer. I complain too much- or so the hubs says. I say, I ain't complaining, I'm only stating the facts. However, I do have a pioneering spirit, I think. I did pack up my possessions into two 23kg suitcases and moved to France...

Stephen T. McCarthy said...

Yes, those were some seriously TOUGH people! I don't think there are many people in the United States anymore who could handle something like what those pioneers endured; we have become too soft and attached to our creature comforts.

We may see that type of spirit reappear again in this country someday, but if so, it will be due to necessity, not entered into voluntarily.

Incidentally, I think Virgina City, Nevada, is probably my favorite place in the country. I often dreamed of moving there.

~ D-FensDogg
'Loyal American Underground'