Tuesday, July 3, 2012

EATS MEETS RETREATS

Moving to Mexico
I was excited about my future…
So many new adventures, a new home…
And of course my writer’s retreat.
But I wasn’t sure…
If I’d find any writers to connect with.
And then one night at a dinner party...
I met Donnala…
Owner of Tiramisu
A beautiful restaurant on the marina.
 

Originally here from Connecticut
She’s been in Mexico almost 15 years.


“So what brought you to Mexico," she asked me.
“I want to open a spiritual writer’s retreat.”
“I’m a writer,” she said.
Wow, this was cool.
“I’m also a reiki master and shamanic sound healer.
Way cool!
“So, where is your land?” Donnala asked.
“In Akumal on the jungle side.”
Where  in Akumal?”
“Rancho San Martin.”
“What lot?”
“Number 14.”
Donnala threw her head back and laughed
OK, she’s had waaaaay too much wine!.
I was about to dismiss her tipsy conversation when…
“I own lot number 15” Donnala said.
Wow, what were the odds?
“And I came here to open a writer’s retreat.”
We stared at each other…
I mean really? What are the chances…
Of both of us buying land in Mexico...
Across from each other…
And both of us wanting to build a writer’s retreat?
I don’t know if you believe in fate, or serendipity…
But I do. And my jaw is still hung open.


Meet Donnala...
This photo was taken the day she did a blessing for my land.


 She’s written and illustrated a poetry book, 
Entitled, Hammock Sutra…
And, eh hem…
You’ll have to ask her how she knows what she knows.
Here’s a link to her blog.
Please hop over and take a peek…
So?
Do you believe in fate?
Have you ever encountered such serendipity?

Always, Em-Musing
Donnala put her retreat dreams on hold when
she opened her restaurant, but now says I’ve
inspired her. She plans to build her home in
the jungle and help me with my retreat
and promises she's going to teach me 
laugh yoga. HAHAHAHAHAH!

9 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You two met for a reason! Make that writer's retreat happen, Leigh.

Charmaine Clancy said...

I'm not sure if I believe in fate or that we make our own fate by being open to connections when they come along, as a spiritual person, I'll bet you are very open to connections! What's most important is you obviously didn't' waste that encounter - wonderful that you girls have found each other!

farawayeyes said...

No such thing as coincidence!

Jessica Bell said...

Ha! That's fabulous! And it's SO much better and more fun doing a writer's retreat with a partner. Trust me! :) So wish you could make it to mine this year. Would have loved to have you!

Anonymous said...

Serendipity? Luck? Coincidence? Or is the land calling for writers to gather at this spot on the planet?

I love the way ideas morph.

Many years ago I blessed the land at Lot 15 and dedicated it to be a retreat for writing and spiritual practices. Then life had a way of keeping me super busy, in all of my businesses and personal spiritual practices while the writer's retreat sat simmering, waiting. I guess we were waiting for Leigh because my business partner had no interest in the jungle!

And while we (the land and I) were waiting for Leigh, I organized writing groups, led laughter yoga sessions, taught Reiki and practiced Sound Healing... all at my restaurant, Tiramisu in the off hours... talk about multi tasking!

My little book called Hammock Sutra (Hamaca Sutra in Spanish) is sub titled, The Art of Love in a Hammock. It is a beautiful little book illustrated by Ana Barreto, an exquisite mural artist from Acapulco, Mexico. Right now, it is available only in Mexico. However, shortly it should be available in the US and Italy.

I feel like I have joined another writers' group since | began reading Leigh's posts and your comments. And as soon as I figure out how to get to your pages, I would love to read some of your musings too!

Wasn't it Victor Hugo who said, "There is nothing so powerful as an idea whose time has come."

So the writer's retreat with Leigh in the Winter and Spring.... and travel to out of the way places in the Summer and Fall, is the idea for me. I believe it's time has come!

This year I am leading a group to Bhutan in September. If you are interested in Bhutan, there is more info at www.donnala.com

Thanks for reading!

Anonymous said...

What an amazing story. I agree with farawayeyes up there... it was meant to be.

Stephanie said...

How cool. Talk about things working out just the way they should. I'm glad the two of you found each other.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
DL Hammons said...

Like minds eventually find each other. It really shouldn't be such a surprise when it happens! :)