Thursday, July 11, 2013

SEE MExico, HEAR MExico, TASTE MExico

How can I condense one week of touring...
The interior of Mexico…
In one blog post?
I’m not sure I can, but I'll try…
Here goes…
First, I got to hand it to the Spanish…
Who, when they came into (conquered) Mexico...
Constructed absolutely amazing architecture...
Like these churches and cathedrals.























































Jaw dropping beauty!
And the gold you see…
Is real gold, not paint.
All cathedrals and churches.
(the only difference being whether a bishop resided there)
Were built in the 15, 16,  & 1700’s...
And there is at least one in even the smallest of towns.
And then there’s Guadalajara
An historic city…
Yet urban and cosmopolitan.
Besides going to museums, shops and restaurants…
I went to a haunted cemetery…
Ghosts there from the 1800’s.
Even the tomb of a vampire.











And trust me...
Mexicans love tales of the supernatural...
Ever as much, if not more, than Americans.
I also went on a side trip to the ruins of a church...
In the wake of an erupted volcano back in 1943.











Then there was Morelia, capitol of Michoacan…
Where besides more churches and cathedrals...
There was this 1700 year-old building...
Where I sipped coffee and breathed in...
The beauty of that historic city.











There were other side trips like to an island...
A tropical natural park...
A quick jaunt into Mexico City...
And all the little towns and villages in between.
What can I say?
I fell in love with the sites, sounds, and tastes…
Of a Mexico that most Americans will never see…
Or don’t even know exists.
Ever been to Mexico?
Ever want to go?
I guarantee…
You will fall in love.


Always, Em-Musing

5 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Those are some beautiful churches. Even the one in ruins. I have been to Mexico but didn't get to explore much.

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

I want to visit Mexico. Funny tidbit: Mexico has now displaced America as having the fattest citizens on earth.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

We took a cruise to Mexico, but outside of visiting a farm and riding "genuine Mexican ponies from Kentucky," we didn't see many of the sights. I would've spent hours taking pictures in those churches though. Gorgeous!

Adam said...

I guess the Spanish had the cash to build, with all that gold they stole

Intangible Hearts said...

You have the best posts. Yes, I love Mexico. Gorgeous!