Thursday, September 5, 2013

WASTED TIME

Time = money?
Oh, you bettcha…
Especially when it's me doling out the dinero…
Twice a week…
Taking private Spanish lessons.
And it’s a good thing…
The only bad thing is…
I haven’t studied in a very long time…
And I need to be honest here…
I really never studied in school…
And though I never studied…
I sailed through on “B’s”…
Because I could.
No biggie you might say....
But I can tell you…
I’m having a hard time studying now…
Oh, I can study for say a minute or two…
But then my mind wanders, won’t stay focused….
Especially on days I want to blog.
But I can tell you, my Spanish is suffering.
And it’s not just me telling me…
**the other day during Spanish class**
Teacher: Okay Leigh, what does Vamos a Playa oy mean?
Me:      “Uh…well…um…”
Teacher: “Leigh, didn’t you study?”
Me:       “Yes, of course I studied, um, well…
            okay, not that much.”
Teacher: “It’s fine with me, Leigh. It’s your money.
            But please don’t tell anyone I was your teacher
            if you haven’t learned to speak fluently by 
            Christmas. I have a reputation, you know.”
Ouch! 
Her brutal honesty slapped my senses.
She was right.
I am spending money to learn.
And so I have to ask myself…
How much will I spend…
Before I take it seriously enough?
To devote all of my brain cells to learning it?
So…
I may be absent for awhile…
Because while I can physically multi-task…
Seems I’m not a multi-tasker thinker.
And CHA-CHING!
Time really does = $$$.
And I don’t’ want to waste either.
And when I'm not studying Spanish...
I need to devote my time to writing & editing.
So? How ‘bout you?
Can you multi-think?
Are you good at studying?
Got any tips?

Always, Em-Musing 

5 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Wow, she pulled no punches.
Yeah, I worked hard in college because if my parents were paying for a private college education then I darn well better learn something. (Fear of parental wrath for wasting money and all that!)
Focus, Leigh. You can learn Spanish!

Adam said...

key to my studying is turning off all distractions.

A Beer for the Shower said...

You know what's a great study aide? Being forced into it. Like my wife's grandma, who only speaks Spanish. Unless I try to learn what she's saying or convey myself better, we don't understand each other and it's super awkward.

I guess what I'm saying is that awkwardness is a pretty strong motivator for me.

Scarlett said...

That's such a good point, I'm totally going to go and do some work on my online html course now! x

D.G. Hudson said...

My kids took Spanish in high school. I studied French, so I'm no help.Good luck.

As for studying tips, I also sailed through school until college, where I was brought up short as well with a lack of studying skills. I had to learn to study and it wasn't easy. I was an art major after all, academics were boring.

It's like writing, give it priority or it won't get done.