Wednesday, December 4, 2013

NOW NEPAL

My last stop on the tour - Kathmandu.
I loved many things about this city…
But it was such a contrast…
Between the clean metropolis of Bangkok
And the pristine countryside of Bhutan.
Kathmandu is congested…
And not just with people…
But plastic trash everywhere…
Including the main river which was mostly stagnant.
Funeral pyres are a frequent occurrence...
And although I didn't see any...
I did experience one in a different way.
One afternoon...
I was hungry and at some point said...
"Mmm, something smells good."
My tour buddies cracked up...

"Leigh! That's a burning body you're smelling."
Lord!
I had to contemplate on that for awhile.

Of course Kathmandu has many temples....
But unlike the gilded temples of Bangkok
And the modest, but still ornate temples of Bhutan
Nepal’s temples seemed worn out and overrun...






























And not just by humans…
But often pigeons and in many cases, monkeys.

While I wasn't wowed by the city of Kathmandu
I found the people to be the most fascinating. 























As if they were characters out of an exotic novel...
And then there was this cutie...










Who I couldn't resist holding.














Also awesome in Kathmandu - the markets...
The best shopping on the tour!















And c'mon!
No matter where a girl goes...
A girl's gotta shop...
Where a girl needs to shop! 
Tomorrow...
Some random shots along the way.

Always, Em-Musing

4 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Sad it's so dirty.
Hope you found a good smell that was edible.

Writer Pat Newcombe said...

It sounds like you're having a wonderful time! Such a colourful place... I'd love to be there...

Barbara Watson said...

I often wonder what newcomers would think about where I live. How would it look through their eyes? So interesting to read and see your experiences.

Shannon Lawrence said...

I'm sad to hear how run down those wonderful buildings are, and how filthy the river is. But your trip is sounding delightful overall. Continued fun and safety as you travel!

The Warrior Muse