Wednesday, December 7, 2016

HIP HIP HOORAY!


The first Wednesday of each month is the Insecure Writer’s Support Group Blog Hop. Here writers can share their insecurities and encourage other writers who have doubts and concerns of their own in a safe environment. The IWSG is founded by our brilliant ninja leader, Alex Cavanaugh. 
This month's question is: What is your five-year writing plan any how will you get there? But first, I'd like to share a recent, painful insecurity.  


YAY! 
My brain is back to normal!
But I wasn’t so sure until a few days ago
And you have no idea what went through my mind
I thought for sure 
That me being a writer was over!
Rewind three weeks ago
San Antonio, Texas
I was convalescing at my daughter’s house from hip replacement surgery.
I had envisioned myself recuperating
With nothing else to do but write. Right?
Wrong!
As I sat on her couch
With my laptop on my lap and fingers poised to type
My mind was blank, empty—VOID!
As if I was sitting in a mammoth empty auditorium
No audience, no performersNOTHING!
Lord, I thought
What if my desire to write
Went bye-bye with my bad hip?
Then came my two-week follow-up visit with the surgeon.
After a good report that I was healing fine
I got up to leave but turned back
"What's on your mind, Leigh?"
“Actually, it’s my mind
I’m a writer
And since the surgery, my mind is foggy. I can’t write anymore."
"Anesthesia."
"Anesthesia?"
"Yes, it has that effect on some patients.
It can stay in the body for weeks sometimes months."
"Oh, thank god," I said letting out a loud sigh.  
"Leigh, be patient. Sleep a lot and drink plenty of water.
Your and mind will body heal."
"PhewThanks."
So fellow writers?
Ever experience brain fog?
From anesthesia?
Or any other reason?
What is your five-year plan?
And how will you get there? 

Always,

Em-Musing

7 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

At least there's a reason for it. Give it time.
Hope you heal quickly.

Hart Johnson said...

ACK! That would be terrifying! I'm so glad it had a reasonable (and especially temporary) explanation! Happy writing!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

That would be scary to think one's creative juices were drained. Nice to know they will return.

Gerardine Baugh said...

Been there. I had two-cancer surgery’s the fog came with not only the anesthesia but also the stress. Luckily it passes. The water is a great idea it will flush the toxins.

I signed up a couple hours ago when I stumbled on this wonderful group. I posted on my blog to make sure it was still the 7th. Thinking about my five-year plan, all came up with is write. And finally getting published then keep writing. I need to keep my sights set on writing.

Hope you are healing quickly,
Gerardine

Karen Baldwin said...

Thanks all for your comments :)

Cynthia said...

Hope you have a smooth recovery! Sometimes I am less creative when I'm feeling stressed out about something.

Intangible Hearts said...

Yes, unfortunately I'm going through a year of medications, surgeries and brain fog--but the desire is still there and I plan on making up for lost time next year!