Wednesday, February 1, 2017

DANGLING BELIEF

This post is part of the monthly blog hop/therapy session known as the Insecure Writers Support Group, founded by the one and only, Alex J.CavanaughIf you're a writer, insecure, or just supportive of writers—insecure or not—please join us. It happens the first Wednesday of each month. I encourage everyone to visit at least a dozen new blogs and leave a comment. Your words will be appreciated.



This month’s challenging question is:  How has being a writer changed your experience as a reader?


Being a writer is easy…
Blissfully crafting a story…
The premise, the plot...
The arc, the black moment, and the resolution.
Creating memorable characters with distinctive voices... 
Fantastic settings and building worlds …
Weaving research invisibly into the story…
Like stitching on a fine quilt …
To make it all believable no matter the genre.
After countless hours, days, and months…
Chapters accumulate until finally…
Your story is a manuscript…
But definitely not ready for publication.
Oh, no…
Now comes the “work” part…
Editing…
Editing…
Editing…
Until your eyeballs are red and bleary…
Ready to fall out.
If you’re a writer…
You know what I’m talking about.
And that’s why being a writer has RUINED me!!
Me, as a reader, that is.
Every book I read, I try turning off my internal editor…
But when I find repetitive words…
That don't enhance the story…
Dangling & squinting participles…
Too many adverbs, especially those ending with "ly" *wink wink*
Sloppy punctuation, lazy grammar…
And one-dimensional characters…
My mind screams…
Who didn’t catch these?
Because now I’ve lost my emotional connection with the story.
*sigh*
And lately, I've been reading many like this. 
What about you?
Has being a writer changed your experience as a reader?
Read any clunkers lately?
Care to share?

Always,

Em-Musing

10 comments:

J.L. Campbell said...

Definitely, I no longer read simply for the pleasure of it, but if the writer is good, then it's easier.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

It tends to happen. I got good at eliminating those 'ly' words, so now I really notice them in other books.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I wish there weren't so many clunkers in my submission box. It does make the good ones stand out though.

Nicki Elson said...

Looks like we have this issue in common. I'm almost afraid to go back and read some of my favorite books from before I started writing because I don't want to see anything wrong with them.

farawayeyes said...

Hey there, nice to see you around the blogosphere again. Of course, you may have been here all along and it's me who has been absent on and off. Either way, I saw your comment at another blog and thought I really need to stop by.

I'm with you on being ruined as a reader after becoming a writer and trying to study the craft and perfect my work. Unfortunately, a lot of sloppy work out there and some of it published by the 'big' houses. I too often wonder; 'who's paying attention, or are these people 'big' enough that they get away with anything'. It's kind of sad really.

Tyrean Martinson said...

I know how much hard work it takes, but I read a book that shall not be named that had strangely changing verb tenses throughout the whole novel - and it was published by a huge publisher presumably with a full house of editors. It was super frustrating. However, I do know how hard it is to catch everything so I try to read with grace.

Nasreen said...

I'm so with you. I edit for other authors and now reading for pleasure makes me cringe sometimes.

Misha Gerrick said...

It's exactly the same with me. I struggle to turn the editor off when I'm writing. When I'm reading, there's pretty much no hope of getting it to keep it's mouth shut.

Deniz Bevan said...

Love the "squinting participles"! :-)

Arlee Bird said...

Being a writer can be easy, but you're right that being a good writer is work. My editor tends to be either lazy or unobservant when it comes to reading. But if the mistakes are glaring then that internal editor gets put on alert--especially if I'm not particularly enthralled with what I'm reading.

Arlee Bird
Tossing It Out